Monday, August 29, 2011

My Offspring




Samuel and I were pulling into the Fred Meyer parking lot, on a mission to find a birthday card and gift.  Samuel is staring out the window at the entrance and says "Mom, you can just drop me off at the door and I'll go inside to buy a card"  I had to laugh but quickly replied with NO!  Not even if we did live in Mayberry!  I had to do a recap of "stranger danger" and also remind him that he is only 4.

We headed inside and as we are walking around the store, my son looks up at me with a most questionable look of doubt and says.....

Samuel: "Mom, how do I know if wheely bewong to you?"

Me: "What?!  What do you mean?"

Samuel: head cocked to the side, eyebrows slightly raised and a squint of the eyes... "How do I know that you're weally my mom?"

Me:  "What in the world? You lived in my belly for 9 months, you belong to me, kiddo."

Samuel:  "Yeah, but, how do I K-N-O-W that is weal."

Me:  I kneel down in the store, eye to eye on this one.. "Honey, because I'm your mommy & you can trust me on this one!  Daddy & I love you so much!  We picked out your name, took you home from the hospital and we're going to keep you forever!  LOL"

Samuel:  "I know, but, (pause... as he's puzzled & trying to explain to me what is going through his head) how do I know you guys didn't take me fwom someone else and you aren't my weal mom?"

Me:  "That's ridiculous!"  As I'm laughing but restraining..."Because God gave you to US, nobody else.  You are very special to us and we made sure we got the right baby when we took you home from the hospital"

Samuel: With a sly smile and head tilted to the side...Unconvinced but appeased.... "Okay, I hope that's the twuth".

This was several months ago, his imagination is crazy funny!  This is one deep kid, a little beyond what I'd expect from a 4 year old.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THAT KID!!!!!!! He's freaking hilarious!

Coffee STAT! said...

You're tellin' me!! We miss you.

Gram said...

VERY CUTE. THE BEST OF BLOGGING IS KEEPING THESE STORIES !!!!

HE LOOKS SO GROWN UP IN THE LAST PIC.

Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing mom, he looks waaayyy older in that last picture. I can't wait to come out and visit next month!!!

Anonymous said...

Tell him his cop uncle would arrest anyone who took him from his mommy.

Coffee STAT! said...

You're right about that last picture, mom. Yikes, time is flying by. Mike- Oh, he knows you would have his back! He's proud of Uncle Mike the Policeman who will arrest naughty head kids & bad guys, although he expresses his concerns re: the distance & time it would take for you to travel from KY to OR and take care of business. Cracks me up, detail oriented kid. I will remind him you'd arrest anyone who'd try to take him from his mommy... but I'll have to wait until he brings it up again. Otherwise it opens another can of worms - details, such as: "but who would try to take Me? Why? From where? Am I safe in my new bedroom?" After the recent move & trying to help him adjust to the new house & sleeping through the night safe & sound. The classic bedtime story that G sent me, worked wonders. I read it to him nightly.