Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Time Flies!

This was a last minute trip and the most memorable one ever! The countdown began in early April. Every morning Samuel woke up, always very excited, and the first thing he'd do is tell me how many days were left until he gets to go to see his cousins in KY. He had an airplane sticker on his calendar, marking the official departure date, April 21st. We marked each passing day with an "X" as his anticipation grew more and more every day. He constantly reminded me that we would be very busy in KY, with so many things icluding; Michael's birthday party, swimming, celebrating Easter, playing games with RachelMichaelChloe (sounding like one continuous name), playing outside and holding new baby cousin Olivia.

The 21st finally arrived and I woke Samuel up at 3:45 AM people, and he was just as excited as Christmas morning! He literally sat up, CHEERFULLY got dressed while asking if it was time to go get on the airplane. He was a little groggy but so... chipper! No coffee, no espresso, just natural God given "chipper"….still makes me smile! He ran out of his bedroom on a mission to leave! (I'm shocked he didn't face plant into a wall) Let's go, mom, are we gonna miss the plane?! Aunt Marti was here to greet him and that put a big smile on his face.

Vinny was taking the 3 of us to the airport, he wasn't able to go with us but stayed home to finish up some work. We missed having him there but he had a lot of work to accomplish, with a significant job & a tight deadline. (to clarify it was legal & non mafia related) I'm very proud of his artistic talent & quality work as a tile contractor. We continue to be very thankful to God for the work that started coming in for the business.

Samuel did great on the flights and was such a trooper! It was all fun & adventure for him. We checked in, made it through security and then ate a tasty, light, breakfast sandwich at Roses. My favorite part was standing at the counter in the cafe, there was 1 other person in line behind us and I didn't see her. I abruptly turned around and manged to shove myself into this customer standing behind me, she was like a brick wall... no expression and she didn't even budge. It was 5:30 or 6am and that's early - I get it... but I practically knocked this person over and she acted as though I was invisible. I turned to make eye contact and humbly apologized to her, I felt bad - not to mention embarrassed! She wasn't phased by the push, the apology, my mere existence in the least. She didn't blink, didn't say a word, didn't move, didn't do a thing. Was this person a wax statue? Possibly. I turned around to face the counter again, a bit humored but also confused by this non-responsive being. I looked back again at her and smiled BIG and CHEESY, then very CLEARLY, LOUDLY, I apologized once again. When she didn't respond, I said on her behalf, it's okay. Funny.

When we landed in KY, we saw Aunt Gretchen and Chloe waiting for us. Samuel went running down the hallway to them and when he made it over to them, he just stood there by Chloe, smiling. It was very cute. I haven't seen Chloe since Samuel was born, she was just over 2 1/2 months old I believe, close to 5 years ago. So seeing her for the first time since then, was crazy and I couldn't help but tear up at how much she has grown. It'd been far too long.

Uncle Mike, Gretchen & Chloe picked us up at the airport. The drive to their house was hilarious because Samuel & Chloe hit it off like old buddies. (4 year "old" buddies) As it turns out, Uncle Mike, the police man, was not going to take Samuel to jail after all… I think Samuel was concerned about this for awhile.. possibly because he might have been told several times that Uncle Mike COULD and MIGHT take him to jail. Samuel was a little intimidated by his uncle, a bit shy at first but Mike was so awesome with him. We got to the house and all the kids were taller than I'd thought and adorable as ever. I missed the hurried greeting between Rachel, Michael & Samuel. They were all so excited, it was the best. I have the best nieces & nephew in the world, I am proud of who they are and love their big hearts! I’ve run out of time but here are some pictures.

HAPPY EASTER!